formed by the Association of Wrought Iron Chain Manufacturers to standardise the quality of production of chains and anchors. Lloyds Register of Shipping supplied a Superintendent who had the authority of Works Manager.
and was to become on of the leading companies in Europe engaged in the manufacture of cranes, electric hoists and pulley blocks.
This Act compelled manufacturers to use an independent proving house for cable and anchors supplied to ships built to Lloyds classifications. It also laid down a statutory price list to be varied only by application to the Board of Trade.
to carry out requirements of 1899 Act, mostly by Lloyds British Testing Co., Cradley Heath, Tipton, Chester, Sunderland, Newcastle and Glasgow.
which combined the Field Service requirements in the southern area of Herbert Morris with the chain and pulley block work of Brown Lenox Company
and the 750 T machine was installed at Netherton in 1934. During the war years there was a boom which continued into the early 1950's. Then competition from Japan, Germany and Sweden reduced the shipping tonnage ordered in the UK. Proving houses were closed, leaving eventually only Netherton and Newcastle. Industrial testing and repair began to replace chain and cables and anchors, particularly at Newcastle as a major part of the work undertaken. Steps began by shipbuilders to remove the 1899 Anchor and Chain Cable Act from the Statute Book.
of lifting tackle developed at an accelerating rate Newcastle leading the way, where it has been increased to over 95% of total turnover. Netherton was less adaptable and had more local competition in this field. The Directors looked for diversification activities. In 1965 the crane hire business was offered to them but rejected. In 1967 they advertised and bought two small companies which required finance for expansion. By 1969 these had failed and were sold, together with a new division which had been developed at the same time. In November 1969, Close Brothers approached the Board for discussion of a merger with Hiracrane Ltd. This was rejected.
In 1970, Netherton was re-organised to cope with expansion in the industrial testing field. The repeal of the 1989 Act became effective.
of Herbert Morris-Brown Lenox, the Royton Chain Company of Manchester and Liverpool, together with the Crane Aid Division of Herbert Morris Limited, led to the formation of a new company, Crane Aid Services.
The new company continued to expand and in 1977 joined forces with Lloyds British Testing Company Ltd. The joining together of the two organisations to form Lloyds British encompassed 850 people working from 30 centres throughout the UK.
part of the Davy Corporation .
were sold to Trafalgar House.
acquired Lloyds British which then became part of KONE Cranes.
the Hire Division of Lloyds British Testing was put up for sale.
led by now Chief Executive, Ian White, was announced. Completion of the buy-in was completed on 4th March and Lloyds Equipment Hire was born. That same year discussions started up with KONE Cranes (now Lloyds KONE Cranes) in respect of purchasing our former parent company Lloyds British Testing Co Ltd. This unusual deal was valued at more than £5 million.
by Lloyds Equipment Hire was completed and so was formed the new Lloyds British Group.
on the AIMS market and became a PLC.
Lloyds expanded into new markets with the acquisition of Somers Handling and was integrated into Lloyds British Testing and now known as Lloyds Somers. Lloyds went on to acquire Rota Handling in Dudley.
opening operations in Egypt and the U.A.E., North Africa, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait and India.
and become Lloyds British Defence
In December 2016, Lloyds British becomes part of the Speedy Services family